The quintessential companion to Punjabi food. Pairs really well with Classic Butter Chicken and Palak Paneer.
- In a saucepan, boil 1 cup of water + 1 black cardamom + 1 stick of cinnamon + 4 cloves + 6 black peppercorns
- Simmer for 5 min, and throw in half a beetroot, cut into big chunks
- Add 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp sugar and cook for 5 min on low heat
- Turn off the heat and let the liquid cool.
- Drop in 1 cup of peeled shallots / pearl onions and 2 green chillies
- Add 1 cup of white vinegar and let the whole thing soak for an hour before eating
- Bottle and refrigerate. The onions are good for upto 4 weeks, and get better each day. You can totally leave the beetroot in there as well.